Friday, July 27, 2012

Wait, so this isn’t just a vacation?

So. Tuesday marked 3 full months in site, and also led to a minor freak out on my part. Throughout all of training, they encourage you to take the first 3 months in site as a ‘transition’ period. You are supposed to integrate, visit with families, and not really get into your work. In Paraguay, you need to build relationships with people before working with them, not just jump into it. When I heard this, I took it to heart! I have been working at the library twice a week (given it doesn’t rain), but otherwise, I have just been trying to get comfortable here in site. I read, visit with families, and visit my neighboring volunteers. Essentially, I have been on a 3-month vacation with a little work thrown in there. I’m pretty sure even last week I used the “3 month” card when talking with a friend about potential projects.

Well... THREE MONTHS IS HERE! Aka, ITS TIME TO DO MY JOB! Man, rough. Looks like less time spent in my hammock reading, and more time putting in the effort. I mean, that’s what I came to do here, and I have the full intention of following through with it, but it just happened so fast! I do have some things lined up to start after reconnect (a week long training I have next week), so that will definitely help. English classes, charlas (lessons) with the preschool class, and continuing my work with the library are on the schedule. My weeks will get busier, but it also means time to figure out bigger projects I can get going with.

So, while I will continue to live la vida tranquilopa, I will also become a little more guapa (hardworking) here in site.

And I will leave you all with my favorite photo from July. Jessica (4) and Auxi (10) came over to color, eat popcorn, drink terere, and swing on my hammock. It was a great afternoon :)


2 comments:

  1. Hey Emily! this is Brittany from G-36, yes I follow your blog :) I decided to get up on my high stool of 'being in the Peace Corps for 1 year' and give you some hopefully not-too-preachy advice.

    I've been where you are 3 months in- remembering that suddenly 'the honyemoon period' is over and that now I had to do a 'real job' because the first 3 months were over. In retrospect, I would really, really not encourage thinking like that- you will be setting yourself up for a TON of frustration and... dare I say it... general misery. The thing is, no matter how hard you work or try, your community will go at its' own pace. Some Volunteers get to their sites and start working IMMEDIATELY because they had awesome follow-ups, or people who really understand the Peace Corps, or super motivated contacts/community members. Some Volunteers (like I did) will take a longer time to build up rewarding projects, and that is totally okay! It took me about 8 months in my site to really start having rewarding projects, despite my best intentions. Month 3 to Month 7 were the lowest of my Peace Corps experience because I set the expectation for myself that I should 'really be working now.' In fact, retrospectively I should have continued chilling out on my neighbor's house drinking terere, walking around my community, and focusing on learning Spanish and Guarani- I mean, I did do those things, but they weren't fulfilling to me at all during the time because I thought I was supposed to be 'working.'

    Don't feel guilty because you spent the morning (okay, let's face it, the whole day) in your hammock. Also, if you don't accomplish those trajectories on your list of things to do (I had SO MANY of those the first year in my site), do NOT feel guilty or beat yourself up over them- just trust that it's part of the process :) Tranquilo no mas!

    Enjoy your time in Misiones, and see you soon I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yesssss. so no need to feel guilty on those super lazy days? excellent!

    ReplyDelete