Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Birthday Shenanigans

For the past month, there have been lots of birthdays in my group of volunteers. The first weekend was at the end of May, when we marked our one-month mark in site. We were celebrating Kelley and David’s birthday. A bunch of us headed to Asuncion for some much needed R&R and celebrations! It was great to see everyone again, and live the city life for a bit!

The second was at the beginning of June, when I went to my friend Alex’s site to celebrate Karen’s 25th birthday. It was 10 hours of travel each way, but well worth it. We broke in her new house with lots of amazing cooking (homemade pizza, pita bread, hummus, huevos rancheros… yeah, it was incredible). Even though it was freezing and we jammed 4 people (and a puppy) in a 2-person bed, we had a blast!



And the last one happened to be my birthday ☺ It fell on the same day as the US Embassy 4th of July celebration, so I got to be surrounded by friends for the day (and party at the embassy, major plus)! We were also celebrating Bridget and Ian’s (people from my G) birthday, that occurred earlier that week. We ate bbq, drank coronas with lime, played games, laughed, sang, and danced. Then I went out to dinner at a Spanish restaurant and hit up the Paraguayan nightlife! It was the first time in 4+ years I didn’t celebrate at Wrigley, but was a pretty incredible way to bring in the big 2-3.


I would like to make a special shout out to all of you who sent cards/packages/emails/texts/facebook messages/any other form of birthday salutation. It really does make the whole day brighter here when you hear from people back home :) And to those of you here in Paraguay – thanks peeps! This year was definitely one of the best!

To end – just wanted to say congrats to all the exciting things happening back state-side! I have friends who just got married (or are going to very soon!), a new cousin on the Zaideman side, people getting awesome full time jobs, friends moving into their first ‘big kid’ apartment, home renovations, Rizzo playing like a champ for the cubs… the list goes on! Wish I could be there to celebrate and congratulate you all ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment