Thursday, May 9, 2013

1.5 years and 15 countries later...

My brother and I reunited!

Just got back from a quick week-long break, thus, time for an update!

My brother has been in South America for the past 6 months or so, and finally we figured out a time to meet up. It had been over a year and half since we saw each other last -- crazy!! I left Sunday the 28th to head to Asuncion, and then left Monday aiming to arrive at Puerto Iguazu Monday night. I ran into a little hiccup, however, when I missed the last bus to Argentina, and ended up stranded in Ciudad del Este. I ended up sleeping on the floor of the bus terminal... Good times!

Anywho... Tuesday morning I made it to Iguazu easily, and the adventure began. I met up with Doug at the Hostel, and we left pretty quickly to see the falls. We hiked for about 4 hours that day, seeing some of the National Parks' best waterfalls. All were impressive, but definitely the most amazing was the Devil's Throat. Seriously incredible stuff! After the hike we went out for a nice dinner and drank some Argentinian wine (thanks M&D!), and passed out fairly early.



Taking in the view

'Garganta del Diablo' or 'Devil's Throat'

Wednesday, we left Iguazu and headed towards Paraguay. We had a couple more travel woes due to Labor Day (no ferry's were running, buses cancelled, long waits in terminals), and eventually at 2:30am arrived in my site. A looooooong day, but we were both glad to have made it home as opposed to been stuck somewhere else for the night.

Paraguay was very tranquilo, as always. We drank terere with my friends and favorite families, visited the high school and elementary school, made chipa and sopa with a family, relaxed in the hammock, and genuinely enjoyed the campo. He could only stay for 2 days, so it was a quick trip! Saturday morning he was off to Brazil again, and that was that.
Making Chipa
Overall a good break! This month is pretty crazy with coming and goings... After Iguazu, I headed into Asuncion for 2 days for G38's Mid-Service Training, and at the end of May I am off to Chile to visit Peter and Sandra. Busy but fun month!
G38!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment