Friday, March 22, 2013

Getting Tech Savvy

Project update! The start of March also brought a new project for me – computer classes at the muni in site! The inauguration was a big deal. The mayor came, people applauded, and on March 6th we officially had our first class!

The classes are Monday-Thursday (same people go M/W and T/R), 1 hour long, and then there are 4 different sessions each day. In total, we are currently teaching 32 people basic computer skills. I only go twice a week since I have other commitments, and my counterpart who works at the muni is the main lady in charge. She leads the class, while I help monitor and answer questions. Look at that sustainability!

So far it has been going well. The students have to turn on and off the computer at the start and end of every session, and then we have a typing program that they are working their way through. Once they are all more comfortable with the keyboard and mouse (I forgot how weird a mouse can be if you have never seen one before. I saw one lady pick it up and place it on the screen not knowing how to use it), we will move on to applications like Word, Excel and PowerPoint. The mayor also said we will get our internet fixed (I’ll believe it when I see it…), so we will teach Google searches (can I get paid from Google for exclusively promoting their search engine? That would be awesome), how to work e-mail, and even the much anticipated Facebook. Don’t worry, I will teach Facebook etiquette as well (since I had to learn that too… woops), so hopefully I won’t be seeing too many revealing poses of the females modeling…

I also started a photography class, which is lots of fun! Will post on that later! (And sorry for the excessive use of parentheses’ in this post.)

Hope all is well!

No comments:

Post a Comment