Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Hilarity They Call Long Field Practice

Happy St. Patrick's day everyone! Hope you will all be celebrating in style! I know my friends and I have the green food dye ready for this evening :)


Yesterday I got back from Long Field Practice, where my language class and teacher went as a group to visit a volunteer. We lived with host families, did charlas (lessons) in the classroom, lead a women’s committee meeting, and got to see what the job of a rural health and sanitation volunteer looks like. I was struggling with my host family at first and didn’t love it, but overall I think the experience was definitely a positive one. Why? Well here you go:

• Bucket bathing by star/moon light and (attempting) to poop in a latrine
• Having my host sister ask if I needed to go pee, then go with me to pee, and then dropping trousers next to me while peeing. Naturally, I couldn’t go anymore, so I told her “mas tarde” (later) and walked away trying to hold in my laughter.
• My host family dog had some problems. It is actually kind of a sad story… His back legs were stepped on by a cow and were broken, and now he walks with a serious limp. A side effect of this is that his little red rocket is now permanently out.
• I witnessed a cow intensely licking a horse’s butt. This lasted longer than I was there watching.
• In language class one day, we learned how to say “your mom” (nde sy) in GuaranĂ­. Needless to say, we spent the rest of the class making your mom jokes and dying of laughter.
• I was on a Paraguayan radio show (I am really becoming quite the celebrity here, keep an eye out for me on Perez soon). We all went around to introduce ourselves, and when the volunteer went to introduce Jamin (another trainee), she introduced him as hymen (in Spanish his name is said hameen). This lead to uncontrollable bouts of laughter and us eventually getting kicked out of the radio show and not even allowed to talk about what we wanted.
• And finally, the best part. We went to the town of Carepegua because some of us (mainly me and one other person) really wanted to buy hammocks and this was the town to buy them. Immediately when getting out of the van, the local old crazy woman spotted Jamin and found her prey. She was following us pretty closely and once we realized, we stopped walking to see what was going on. She then proceeded to push me out of the way and slap Jamin with her flip flop. She then started to cry and sprawled herself out in the street. Everyone around us started cracking up since they all knew about her and were watching. Then we quickly bought hammocks and got out of there, and drove 5-6 blocks to get some ice cream. After getting food, we are getting back in the van and Jamin starts yelling to close the door ASAP. Sure enough, there was old crazy lady, who apparently followed us to the ice cream shop. She was yelling at us and followed us for a bit, but thankfully we lost her. At the next store, we talked with the worker about her, and apparently she walked around the town naked recently. Yes, I realize this is sad because she clearly has issues, but you should have seen it. You can’t make this stuff up.

I am posting some pics on my facebook, so be sure to check them out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment