Friday, October 11, 2013

Karen's Visit and PATAGONIA!!!

BUEN DIAAAAAAAAAA! A little less work and a lot more play been happening here down south… whoops! But hey, they give us those vacation days to spend, right?! Here is an update on my last couple of weeks.

On Sept 21st, I picked up one of my besties from U of I, Karen, from the airport!!!! She was the last one out of the customs, so naturally I thought she got deported, but no – SHE MADE IT! It was so bizarre on the bus on the way to site. It felt just like we had grabbed lunch a week ago, but in reality I hadn’t seen her in a year and a half and we were in PARAGUAY. Very surreal. Anywho, she only had a quick stint in Paraguay, so I jammed in as much craziness as I could for her. We went to a (fake) Nene Malo concert with some of my PCV friends, hung in the campo where she killed a chicken that we ate for lunch, made chipa and drank terere with a family, attended a little kid’s birthday party… She even washed some clothes by hand! So while her time in the campo was short, we definitely made the most of it!
Sixta showing Karen the proper chicken killing technique
On Sept 24th, we went on our next adventure – PATAGONIA!!! AKA – the most beautiful place I think I have ever seen. Both the Chilean and Argentine sides lived up to all the hype, and I am still pinching myself as I look at my pictures from the trip and realizing that it all actually happened. Rather than bore you with stories, I will let the photos speak for themselves.
Perrito Moreno Glacier, El Calafate, Argentina
PCVs in Patagonia
Hitting up the local ice bar in El Calafate
Sunset walk in Puerto Natales, Chile
Cueva de Milodon, Chile
Picnic spot in Torres del Paine National Park, Chile
Karen and I at Lago Grey, Torres del Paine National Park, Chile
Relaxing at Lago Grey
Incredible views in Torres del Paine
The gang in Torres del Paine
Richard, David, Spencer and Brice after finishing the race!!
Casey, myself, and Yihana as the awesome cheerleaders
Our souvenir from the marathon
Maritime Museum, Ushuaia, Argentina
Celebrating our first night out in Tierra del Fuego!
Dog sledding at the end of the world
Sea Lion Island, Boat Cruise, Ushuaia
Spencer, Yihana and I enjoying the boat cruise
Lighthouse at the End of the World
Our last night as a big group in our Ushuaia house
Layover lunch in Buenos Aires on our last day of vacation
Overall – a crazy couple of weeks! Now it’s another month and a half in Paraguay until my next and last vacation hits – USA! I do have one new activity keeping me busy, thankfully. The nurse at my health post started a walking club, and I join them as often as possible (about 5 times per week usually). Oh - and my neighbor had her baby yesterday, so I am officially a Godmother to a healthly baby boy, Matias! Should be meeting the little guy this afternoon :)

Until next time!
Besos, besos, dale, chau, chau, besos, dale, chau-

Emily

1 comment:

  1. Love the pics and congrats godmother Em!!!!! Six months to go!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete