Monday, July 29, 2013

Paraguayan Fiestas

This past Saturday I went to one of the best parties I have been to in site. It was my neighbor’s 50th wedding anniversary, and they went all out for it! And it got me thinking… In a given week, I am usually invited to some sort of party. Maybe it's a kids birthday, a grandma's birthday, a wake (yes, that is sometimes like a party), a holiday, or a bingo; but there is usually something. I always look forward to these events, although thinking about it, I am not really  sure why. They are awkward, long, and I am ALWAYS forced to dance with someone I don't want to. Since they are pretty entertaining, however, I have decided to describe the 3 most common fiestas in my site.

Little Kid Birthday: Usually I am the photographer, so I show up early to help blow up balloons and take pics. The little girl can usually be found in a princess dress, and the boys in the nicest shirt they own. As people show up, they hand the little kid a present, kiss them on the cheek, and then sit in circle. Then, you wait while the birthday kid takes photos with all the families invited. The hosts will pass out chocolate milk and cookies, which the kids scarf down in seconds. After that the birthday kid will blow out the candles -- twice. They sing happy birthday once with the girls, blow the candles out, and then repeat with the boys. Then it's cake time, popping a balloon piñata, and leaving. They usually knock these bad boys out in an hour or two, so that's always nice!
Dana in her princess dress
Popping the pinata!
Thiago celebrating at school!
Grandma's Birthday: This is usually a longer and more drawn out ordeal than the little kid's. While there are no balloons, piñatas, or princess dresses; they have their own customs. If the family has a little money, they will hire a Paraguayan guitarist or trio to play music throughout the party. Then they will make SO MUCH SOPA in the tatakua, cook up a nice asado of some gigantic pieces of meat, drink terere (and quickly move on to beer/whiskey/cana). After lunch is served, the dance party begins. I am usually suckered into dancing with the drunk uncle, because everyone LOVES to laugh at the norte dancing to Guarani Polka. Sometimes I will spend 5 hours at these things, and by the time I leave, the party is just really getting started. They start a lunch and go all day, because... why the hell not!
Drunk uncle #1
Drunk Uncle #2

Typical Paraguayan trio
Bingo: Bingos are a huge way to fundraise for the high school or elementary schools here, and so they happen pretty frequently. You show up to a house, and they have circled off a designated party area. It costs 5 mil to enter ($1.25), and that gets you a bingo card. Bingo is not really the main purpose of the party, however. It's really just an opportunity for high schoolers and people who never left town to hire a DJ, drink, and dance. I avoided these to start because I wasn't all that comfortable drinking in public at site, but now I am over it... haha. I always go with Silvia, my bestie, who LOVES to dance. This should be awesome, but the concept of group dancing does not exist here. You need a partner. So this means I get up and dance with her, and we are quickly approached. I tend to attract 16 year olds, drunk host brothers, or a random guy I have never seen before. Fun stuff. (But really, it is fun... and I will continue to attend these)
wooooooo RiSo and I partying with high schoolers!


A little different from the party scene I left in the states... But, as awkward as they all are, they have their charm. At the anniversary over the weekend, I spent 10 hours at the house, and got two marriage proposals! Definitely a great party!

No comments:

Post a Comment