Monday, October 8, 2012

Saying goodbye to a dream... for now.

Alright folks. I said I wasn’t going to do it, but time for another depressing blog post.

Manza II passed away on Saturday. How I got 2 puppies that were/got sick when some Paraguayans treat their dogs like crap and they survive I will never understand. But, it happened. I dropped her off at the vet Thursday morning after her being sick most of the night, and it just got worse over time. The doctors said she ingested something very toxic that she just couldn’t recover from.

As you may imagine, I am pretty damn bummed. While I know that their deaths weren’t my fault, I feel like I failed in a sense. For most people, the Peace Corps can be an extremely stressful experience and a dog is what helps get you through the tough times. For me, I have made it through my first 8 months in country stress free, minus all the dog issues… Just doesn’t seem right!!

While having a dog during my service was a dream, I just am not willing to risk getting another dog here with the chance that the same thing may happen. Thus, my dream of owning the greatest dog to ever walk the planet has been put on hold. I’m going to wait til I’m back in the states, where there are puppy products easily accessible and where I can get to a vet without it taking hours and paying an arm and a leg…

Here’s to you, Manza II (who had just gotten big enough to climb on my chair). A fabulous puppy! And have a blast with my first pup up in puppy heaven! You both loved belly rubs, so maybe you guys can take turns giving them :)


P.S. On a lighter note… On Friday, I went to Andrea’s community to help her plant trees! We planted 200 (although I only helped the second day) with her senior high school class, and it was a blast! Now let’s just hope the cows don’t eat them all… (sorry sox fans about the hat)

No comments:

Post a Comment