Friday, April 20, 2012

I'M A VOLUNTEER!

“Never underestimate the ability of a small group of committed individuals to change the world" -Margaret Mead


1 year and 6 months after I turned in my application, I, along with all 28 of my fellow G38 peeps, can finally call ourselves Peace Corps Volunteers! This morning we had our swearing in ceremony, and now I get to spend the weekend in Asuncion, and will head to my site on Tuesday.

The Ceremony was great. The Peace Corps director, US Ambassador, a host family representative, and a volunteer representative all gave great speeches. It was sad saying bye to Lidu, but overall a great ceremony. We really should have practiced taking the oath of service in Spanish though, that was a disaster.

This weekend we have a much needed break in Asuncion. I am looking forward to some R&R, good food, and good times before we all go our separate ways. Plans so far include experiencing the Asuncion nightlife, TGIFridays (yes, they have one here), seeing The Hunger Games, and exploring the fun markets of the city.

How am I feeling? 87% excited, 7% sad, and 6% scared shitless. I’m super excited because the day I have waited sooooo long for has finally come! I finally get to go to my site, get settled in, and get going with my work. Sad because I have to say goodbye to some incredible friends, some of my closest are more than 7 hours on bus from me. And scared shitless because… well… I’m about to move into rural Paraguay, by myself, speak another language (or 2) all the time, and I am doing it for 2 years. In reality though, I am really excited for the next chapter to begin!

So as I mentioned, my internet situation in the campo is pretty lousy. I do now have a cell phone though, so if you want to call me, just email me and I will give you the number. And I will be sure to update this when I have the chance! Keep in touch, everyone. All the snail mail has been amazing! My address will change, and as soon as I get the new one I will post it here (but anything mailed to the old one I will still receive).

24 months in the campo as a rural health and sanitation volunteer – let’s do this.

1 comment:

  1. We won't forget about you Zaids! I am so happy for you and very proud! Have a great relaxing weekend, and good luck with the move. love, Jes

    ReplyDelete