Monday, February 6, 2012

The waiting is finally over!

I applied to the Peace Corps in September of 2010. Had my interview and was nominated in November of '10. Medically and legally cleared to serve by April of '11. Was told in June that there wasn't a position for me that would come before the new year. Then I got a phone call that an invitation was in the mail in August of '11.

Fast forward 6 months, and here we are! I still remember getting that phone call in August like it was yesterday. I was at work and was silently freaking out. I think I went back and forth to the bathroom 10 times that hour just to make sure I was composed. I wanted to jump up and down, but I needed to keep it together. I can't believe it's finally happening! Tomorrow I am on a 7am flight out of O'Hare to Miami where I will meet the rest of G38. Then on the 8th, we have staging and I can officially call myself a Peace Corps Trainee. And on the 9th, I will land in Paraguay where I plan to spend the next 27 months of my life.

Right now I feel pretty similar to the way I did back in August - completely overwhelmed. Mostly overwhelmed with excitement, but there are of course the nerves and sadness that come with packing up your life, saying goodbyes, and not knowing what the future holds. I am so tired of answering all the questions and talking about it, I just want to be living it!

The past few weeks in Chicago have been amazing! Lots of lunches and dinners with old and new friends. A going away party with the Zaideman side and some friends. A weekend in Milwaukee. A weekend in St. Louis with the McWilliams side. And then my going away party with friends, an incredible trolley ride around downtown Chicago. Thanks to everyone who made a point to see me off or has sent me messages! They all mean the world to me and I am so thankful to have your support! Please keep in touch, and I will be sure to do the same.

I will leave you with some pics of the last few weeks! Hopefully I will be able to log on after I get to Paraguay, I am sure I will have lots of updates then!

Noonan's graduation party


Cousins at the Zaideman going away party



Weekend in MKE


Weekend in STL


Tessie and I at our favorite spot


Polo boys on the trolley!


And some of the ladies!


"You can kiss your family and friends good-bye and put miles between you, but at the same time you carry them with you in your heart, your mind, your stomach, because you do not just live in a world but a world lives in you."
~Frederick Buechner

No comments:

Post a Comment